Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Grilled Eggplant and Tomato Sandwiches

I love summer recipes with fresh veggies! While vacationing at my mom's house, I was watching Bobby Flay. He introduced me to this, and it looked ( AND TOTALLY IS) pretty simple. I made it once while at my mom's house, but just used a skillet with a little virgin olive oil rather than grilling. The second time I tried this was over at Casey's on the grill, and everyone seemed to really enjoy it. Oh, when we made them at Casey's house we used Chipotle mayo instead of the recipe below. Personally, I like the lemon and Romano blend, but Andre said he didn't care for it. This is a healthy, light, and quick meal perfect for the summer nights. Both nights I totally forgot to take a photo, so you get Bobby Flay's photo. :) Get to grilling!

Original Recipe Yield 4 servings

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup Real Mayonnaise
  • 3 tablespoons grated Romano cheese
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
  • 1 small eggplant*, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
  • 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
  • 4 plum tomatoes
  • 8 slices Italian bread or focaccia
  • Fresh basil leaves

Directions

  1. Combine Mayonnaise, cheese, lemon juice and pepper. Season, if desired, with salt; refrigerate.
  2. Brush eggplant slices on both sides with 2 tablespoons oil. Season, if desired, with salt and black pepper. Grill, turning once, 8 minutes or until slightly charred and tender.
  3. Brush tomatoes with remaining 2 tablespoons oil and season, if desired, with salt and black pepper. Grill, turning once, 4 minutes or until charred and slightly softened. Remove and slice into quarters lengthwise.
  4. Evenly spread bread with mayonnaise mixture, then top with basil, eggplant and tomatoes.

1 comment:

erin said...

Yummmmm. I think the lemon mayo sounds AWESOME! Hey - i need a new catalouge. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...