Original Recipe Yield 4 servings
- 1/2 cup Real Mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons grated Romano cheese
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 small eggplant*, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 plum tomatoes
- 8 slices Italian bread or focaccia
- Fresh basil leaves
- Combine Mayonnaise, cheese, lemon juice and pepper. Season, if desired, with salt; refrigerate.
- Brush eggplant slices on both sides with 2 tablespoons oil. Season, if desired, with salt and black pepper. Grill, turning once, 8 minutes or until slightly charred and tender.
- Brush tomatoes with remaining 2 tablespoons oil and season, if desired, with salt and black pepper. Grill, turning once, 4 minutes or until charred and slightly softened. Remove and slice into quarters lengthwise.
- Evenly spread bread with mayonnaise mixture, then top with basil, eggplant and tomatoes.