Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Halloween Yarn Wreath

I have been wanting to try making one of these wreaths for a LOOOOONG time. I saw some on Etsy, then my friend over at More Chic than Shabby started talking about them, then my bestie over at A Bird and A Bean made one! We hadn't even talked together about yarn wreaths, but that is how it always works out for us....one of us thinking/the other doing and vice versa. (She usually ends up on the "doing" end of it first, as I am terribly slow...)

Anyhoo, I finally got around to making one, and I am SO GLAD I DID. I am absolutely in love with these wreaths! For the cost of what you put in to it....it's flipping amazing. I spent a buck on yarn at Big Lots, and about $4 on a styrofoam wreath at Hobby Lobby. The rest of the stuff I already had, so I was in like flynn.

Here's how it went:

1. You need a basic wreath, and yarn. It can be any kind of wreath you like, and whatever size.
(The yarn spells it out for you!)

2. Tie one on! A knot that is...just tie one and start wrapping. Erin says in her post that it doesn't have to be perfect, that it will end up ok. No worries. I am completely OCD, so I had to wrap mine meticulously. It took about an hour, which is how long Erin says, on her blog, that it would. I watched an episode of Teen Mom online while I did it. (It's my guilty pleasure! Don't judge!) When you finish, just tie another knot in the side you choose to be the back.

3. I used felt to make flowers for mine. I have seen all kinds of things on yarn wreaths, but I already had felt. Plus, there is love in my heart for felt. I had made these flowers before, and hadn't used them for anything, so I was excited to use them on this. Ok, so cut a circle out of the felt. Size depends on what you want. My small flowers used about a 3 inch circle, and my larger ones about a 5 inch circle.

4. Once you have the circles cut, cut into it in a spiral motion as seen below. Then just roll the felt up starting on the outside. Use hot glue to glue the very middle fat piece to the bottom of the rolled flower. I then hot glued a bead into the center of the flower. I made 4 large flowers and eight small ones, but you can use as many as you like.

5. I made Cash go out into the yard and pick me out a couple of little branches. I covered them with Mod Podge, and some orange glitter that was left over from the "Spooky" banner.

6. I arranged everything to my liking, then hot glued it all down. (Thank goodness for hot glue!!)

7. I had some left over black and white ribbon from some other project, so I used it to tie the wreath up.

Afterward, I thought I might like a black raven on my Halloween wreath. I found one in my stash, spray painted him black, and stuck him in the mix. I am not totally sure how I like it, but I suppose it's fitting for Halloween. What do you think? Bird or no bird?

6 comments:

erin said...

AAHHHHH!! I love it so so much. I don't think it will be just for Halloween. Good fall wreath. LOVE IT! Thanks for all the props.....bestie! :)

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to make one! It looks so easy and rewarding. :)

Anonymous said...

Looks very good, especially the bird. Would hate to see it if I had done it. They took away my glue gun years ago. One thing I am not - artsy-crafty but I appreciate to talents of those who are. (Elyse)

Claire said...

I just saw some of these at an arts festival. I think they are very chic. The bird should stay.

More Chic Than Shabby said...

Tracy it looks awesome! So glad you joined the yarn wreath craze. They're so much fun.

Anonymous said...

Bird is good for Halloween, but the wreath looks great without for fall. Great idea!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...